Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Erotica
On the way home from the Spring Fine Arts Festival at the middle school, one son and a neighbor boy climbed to the very back of the Suburban. Son asked if he could turn on the reading light because he wanted to read the Bible to his friend. Of course, I gave permission. Glancing in the rearview mirror, though, my mother instincts went on full alert when I saw them huddled together whispering.

"What are you reading?"

"Proverbs."

Good. Wisdom literature. Practical life stuff. "Read it to me, please," I ask.

So he read Proverbs 5:19:

As a loving hind and a graceful doe,
Let her breasts satisfy you at all times;
Be exhilarated always with her love.


At bedtime, I explained that this passage was about remaining faithful to your wife, so it was good, wise and practical stuff for a 14 year old to ponder.

No comments: